Wednesday, January 23, 2008

When double clicks start bugging....

When I read a web page, I have to have the mouse in my hand, just like when I read a book, I have to have a pencil in my hand !

Though I have almost grown past my latter habit, it is almost impossible to leave the former one. When I am reading a web page, I have this habit of selecting words as I read. Since a double-click also selects a word, I double click a lot - on crucial words, or otherwise - but a lot.

Believe it or not, even while watching a movie (using VLC usually), I keep fiddling with my mouse. If you know me, you must be aware that it is really hard for me to sit alone and finish a 2 hour movie in 2 hours. I get bored easily and start surfing the net. At other times, I am busy with my mouse doing all sorts of things - including double clicking which toggles the full screen mode.

I have not had any problems with my habit, but of late new generation websites have emerged which consider themselves to be "over-smart", to a level to make the user insane. I am talking about these double-click pop-ups of all kinds which come up when you double click anywhere on the site.

So, while reading, I keep getting unwanted dictionary definitions of the words I happen to double-click inadvertently. Now this is really annoying. The good part is, it will make me get rid of my "mouse fiddling" habit one day. :)

(I hope by the time you are reading this, blogger does not come up with this strategy!!)

You can see one such web page here.

By the way, have you visited this? (Click at your own risk, do not curse me later :D)

No comments: